Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Book Review: "She Calls Me Daddy"

How about a step aside from all the running talk? For many "regulars" of my blog, you may think all I do is run, sleep, eat, run, sleep, eat, and so on. There is actually several other pieces to the puzzle but today, I finished reading a book that I thought I'd review. To be honest, I rarely read a book cover-to-cover. Magazines such as Runner's World, Running Times, UltraRunning, Marathon & Beyond get read but books? Come on!

One area that I know that I will always be a "work-in-progress" in is that of a dad. When I recently heard of a great book titled "She Calls Me Daddy" by Robert Wolgemuth along with an interview of the author and his two adult daughters, I had to get it. "This is what I need!", I thought. "A blueprint to be a great dad!" It's easy with the busyness of life to forget to "stop and smell the roses" from time to time and focus on what really matters. I have only daughters and I was raised in a home with only brothers so I know I needed the help! The book reads very easily and the author starts each chapter with an ingenious illustration before he gets to the point. Very practical, easy to put into practice, and real life examples to learn from. Whether you have a newborn girl or a teenager, you can get a lot out of this. He covers 7 major topics: Protection, Conversation, Affection, Discipline, Laughter, Faith, and Conduct. Each chapter wraps up with a "Builder's Checklist"...sort of a play on us dads being "builders" of our daughters...a great summary of action points to start implementing. I really wanted to post an excerpt from the book but everywhere I look, there are copyright restrictions. The first link below has some. If you live locally in northeast Ohio, you can pick it up at Kent Logos for the same price as Amazon. Kent Logos is on the east end of the Kent car strip on Route 59.

1 comment:

Chef Bill Bailey said...

While your running off to Logos to buy this book, you can stop by Kent Natural foods to pickup some PURE FUEL ORGANIC ENERGY BARS!!!!