Thursday, June 12, 2008

2-a-Day & Eggs-n-Hummus

I'm really looking forward to the weekend...highs are supposed to be in the 70s...nice and comfy. Ohio just can't seem to make up it's mind...spring, summer, spring, summer...I'll take some more spring, thank you! Yesterday, however, was summer. In an effort to get my miles up into the 60-70 mile range, I've decided to start doing a "2-a-day" once a week. I've never run twice in the same day. So yesterday, I knocked out 8 before work...from 4:30am - 5:30am (yea, the alarm went off at 3:20am yesterday...ugh!) and then headed to the trails to meet up with Tracy, Ed, and Matt (left to right) at 4:45pm. The sun was bright and the thermometer read 88F...gonna be a hot one. So much for the 81F forecast! For those of you who don't know, Matt, Ed, and Tracy are speedy...more speedy than I on the roads. We met up at Happy Days and did the Haskell - Ledges - Pine Grove - Lake - Salt Run - Lake - rest of Pine Grove - rest of Ledges - back to Happy Days Loop. Quite a mouthful, eh? 9 miles in 1hr, 30min. That's haulin' on the trails especially with Salt Run thrown in there which is highly challenging and technical. Afterwards, I stopped by VR for some more Pure Fuel and at Heinen's for some dinner (sushi). I was NOT feeling good at all...nauseous to be precise. I ended up not feeling good the rest of the night and crashed hard at 9pm. I didn't even try to get a morning run in this morning...not gonna happen! I barely scraped my tail out of bed at 4:30am. Today was just a hydrate, hydrate, hydrate day. 2 runs and one in that heat did me in. Lesson? Get out there and do it MORE! Gotta acclimate to this heat...and soon. To that end, I did a very hilly 6 while the sun was high and it was 90F. So far, I'm at 37 miles for the week and am expecting to get 20-30 more at this Saturday's trail run...starting at 5:30am at the Boston Store.

Oh yes...the hummus and eggs in the title of today's blog: I had some extra hummus left over last week and thought it sounded good to go on an egg sandwich. Result: AWESOME! I'm no chef so microwaves are not off-limits to me so this is easy and simplistic.

Here it is:
2 slices whole wheat bread (toasted)
Hummus (plain flavor)
Egg Sandwich mix-ins:
- 2 eggs (or one if two is too much for ya!)
- shredded cheese of your choice
- crushed pepper
- Onion! Onion! by Tastefully Simple (or some onion-like spice from your cabinet)
- Garlic! Garlic! by Tastefully Simple (or some garlic-like spice from your cabinet)

Directions: in small microwaveable bowl, mix up your eggs and ingredients, microwave for about 1min, 10sec unless you have a super-powerful or super-weak microwave, spread hummus on bread, and after eggs have fully cooked (nothing "wet" on bottom!), place eggs on bread and enjoy! The hummus really makes this sandwich delicious. GREAT recovery meal, in my opinion. Good carbs from the whole wheat, some calcium in the cheese, and a bunch of muscle-building protein in the eggs. I haven't tried it, but I bet a thick, juicy slice of tomato would be perfect. ENJOY!

“I run because it’s my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I’m going where I’m going and I’m already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise…it’s a consistent reward for victory!”
Sasha Azevedo, Runner Athlete

1 comment:

Brett S. said...

Great job getting the two a day in. I'm lucky with the one a day. Did 9 miles today at lunch time and I just can't seem to keep up on hydration with it getting close to 90. If you can bring yourself to slow down some maybe I'll meet up with you for the 5:30 on Saturday. I'll let you know.