Monday, March 7, 2016

M-Cubed for 3.7.2016

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for March Seventh, Two-Thousand Sixteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- First M-Cubed since January 18th. I took a nap, ok?! Ok. On with the day...and SPRING!!! This forecast is nothing short of spectacular this week...


- "Rest in Peace" to our former First Lady, Mrs. Nancy Reagan. I have always been a fan of her and President Reagan...always a class act. She passed away yesterday at the age of 94 and was married to "Ronnie" for 52 years.

"You learn something out of everything, and you come to realize more than ever that we're all here for a certain space of time, and, and then it's going to be over, and you better make this count." ~ Nancy Reagan 


- CrossFit is going, well, fantastic these days. My wife and I are now a year and four months into this journey and now have been with our current gym longer than the original, a switch that is confirmed daily as the right move. If you recall, I participated in the CrossFit Games Open last year...a 5-week event that kicks off the big CrossFit Games season that ends this summer in Carson, CA where the "Fittest on Earth" will be crowned. For us mere mortals, though, it's a chance to see where we've come over the last year, face our weaknesses, and be one of over 323,000 athletes "competing" worldwide. Yes, that many registered this year from 177 countries and all 7 continents for the first time. Yes, Antarctica has Deep Freeze CrossFit! :) Below are screenshots from my Instagram posts quickly summing up Weeks 1 and 2 or workouts 16.1 and 16.2. 16.3 will be announced live on YouTube this Thursday night. Bottom Line: I have definitely gotten stronger and can do far more than I could a year ago! ... a little backstory on the first photo: I did it and got 109 reps as shown on Saturday, the 27th. I analyzed (shocker, eh?!) how I did it over the weekend then came back on Monday and re-did it and got myself 16 more reps for a score of 125. I switched up my grip on the bar and broke none of the 25ft stretches up (I had broke two up before) and rested less on the burpees and chest-to-bars. With 3 min to go, I reached the 109...it was awesome!



- Who to vote for, who to vote for.... Well, if the election were today, I'd be writing in a candidate. Who? I don't know...maybe myself?! Seriously, there isn't anyone with a chance at getting on the ballot that is going to get my vote. I've never actually written in my name on a ballot so this may be a first. Trump? Come on. Morals? Ability to lead our country's military? Bully. Yes, he definitely is that. On the other side, I think Hillary has the best bet at getting on the ticket...but wait, the FBI investigation of her continues to escalate by the day. Then there is Benghazi. ARGH! Is this the best our country has to offer? Trump or Hillary? Yep...writing in my name.  Enter name here: ____________________

- So yesterday, we stumbled upon this new little donut shop in Hartville, OH called Peace, Love and Little Donuts. Think small, warm, fresh donuts with toppings applied to order before your eyes. All kinds of things to satisfy the sweet tooth and if you were buying a lot, it would be expensive. However, I felt like my $1.35 was well spent for this circle of joy...this one called the Triple Chocolate Meltdown. I know, I know...awesome, isn't it?

- A little over a week ago, I had the pleasure of heading down to Columbus for yet another Change of Command and Retirement Ceremony for my commanding officer who now is enjoying retired life in North Carolina after 21 years of service as a Naval Aviator. I really enjoyed serving with him and being there for his retirement. Each one brings me a little closer to my own ceremony. I go back and forth about whether to have an actual ceremony and I always come back to doing it for my family, for closure of a major chapter, and to just seal it all up. But mostly, I'd want to do it to honor my family and thank them for supporting me.

- Can we just talk running for a minute? Unless this is visit #1 to my blog, you know that for years and years (17+, actually), I was a long distance runner and every year had a long list of races to complete from the short 5K to in 2009, three 100-milers. It's all I did outside of a job and family. That all changed in late 2014 and I've pinned on just a few bibs for races since then. For 2016, the only ones planned for are May's Medina Half Marathon and late April's Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon. For the marathon, it's been held two years now and I've run both with a goal of running it every year. Up until now, the military have been entered for free. That is ending this year as no sponsor could be found so now I'm faced with the decision of paying to enter (untrained, mind you) or abandoning the goal of doing every one for as long as possible. I'm leaning towards not running it. Why? No one cares about a streak but me...and if my passion and time isn't spent training for it...then why pay for it? I try to be as logical and sensical as possible and it just doesn't feel right to do it "just to do it." So I'm erasing it from my calendar. I hope I don't regret it as once I miss it, I can't get it back and be a legacy runner of the event. I'm still a runner...I really am. I just don't run...a lot. :)

- Before I leave you today, just a skip back to CrossFit for a moment. I was on a deadlifting PR (personal record) streak over the last month. The photo below is when I pulled 380 pounds back on February 24th. My coach has been programming in this deadlift workout that goes like this: 6-5-4-3-2-1. Those are the number of reps and you work up to a starting weight for 6 pulls then keep adding weight. It was a little tricky to get the math right but it's been a blast week after week doing it again and slightly besting myself over and over. 380lbs is where I'll sit for a bit as I need to strengthen my back more before I go heavier. Still, this photo blows me away because I had zero muscle tone when this journey began. While it's the not the reason to show up each day, it's a nice side-benefit to working hard.

So have a great week, everyone and as I posted a few days, ago, let this one soak in no matter what you find yourself doing this week...within your home, workplace, "gym," the open road...

The best you can do is enough. Just be sure it's the best.

No comments: