Monday, March 14, 2016

M-Cubed for 3.14.2016

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for March Fourteenth, Two-Thousand Sixteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Week #3 of the 2016 Reebok CrossFit Games Open is here. On Thursday night, Games director Dave Castro dropped another bomb on me. Last week, it was toes-to-bar and double-unders...two distinct weaknesses of mine and this week? The bar muscle-up. It's coupled with lightweight power-snatches which are easy. The bar muscle-up, though, is something that I can't do. This past Friday and Saturday, I did work on them quite a bit but so far...a no-go. I'll give it another try tomorrow but don't expect for it to click. Luckily, the snatches come first so I can still log a score but it'll be dismal. That's ok, though...the Open is known for pointing out the weaknesses of everyone and/or highlighting the strengths. It's just another thing to work on!

- Any wooden spoon survivors out there? Hehehehe... I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw this yesterday. Yes...I am one! :) (get the t-shirt here)

- I was browsing through Netflix yesterday on a constant-rain Sunday and stumbled upon "Before We Go"...an independent film made in 2014 by Chris Evans...the actor and now director who plays Captain America in the Marvel films. Pretty great flick that we all watched. It's actually rated "NR" and I only counted one f-bomb in the whole movie...that's it. I'd call it a romantic film and great to watch with your significant other. Check out the trailer here.

- In my office, we have had a small dog as our office dog for about 6 years. Her name was Abby and she was a tiny little thing. She came to work everyday with my co-worker who has been working there for 34 years. Abby was 14 which was 4 years longer than her anticipated lifespan. On Thursday, Abby took a turn for the worse and passed away. She'll be sorely missed! Here are a few photos of us over the past few years.

- Here in Ohio, we have election day and the primary for the upcoming presidential election. Ugh! Like I posted last night on Facebook, it's sad that our country can't produce a single respectable candidate for the Oval Office...of any party! While I will vote as I always do, there really isn't a person on any ticket I really want in the Office. It's frustrating as heck when imagining any candidate with a real chance actually being sworn in as the POTUS. America...we have to do better!!!

- This past Saturday was planned to be a rest day but the invisible pull of the CrossFit gym won me over. After spending about an hour doing all kinds of pull-ups, even to include doing singles with a 45lb kettlebell strapped around my waist, I moved on to back squats. It's something I use to warm up with a lot but haven't gone heavy in them for awhile. My personal record for the back squat went all the way back to April 2015 at my previous gym at 240lbs. I really wanted it gone as my last lingering PR from that gym. As I moved up in weight, it felt pretty good so I went for it and got two sets in at 255 pounds! While that's not HEAVY by many people's standards, it's heavy for me. I haven't even challenged 240 again since July last year and all I could get then was 220. Pretty happy! I'm also happy with my form, back position, chest up, below parallel, etc. It all went awesome! I also love it when I feel 100% the day after with no soreness of any kind...especially when I just lifted the most ever. It's easy to hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing so the day-after feeling is great confirmation of a successful lift..and safely at that!

- There is a pretty cool company/husband and wife team down in Texas that opened up a company called Peacemaker Trading Company. He's ex-Special Forces and she works IT. Their names are Bert and Candace. They formed the company because as he says "we firmly believe that there isn't much better in this world than a favorite t-shirt." When they release a shirt, it sells out in hours, then he produces it, and finally ships it, each with a note. So to get one, I've learned to be subscribed to their email list and when I see an announcement, get on it immediately if I want it. I finally got my first shirt dubbed "The Paw" on Friday. This is the back of it and I tried to show the sleeves, too. There is also a front that you can see on their website at http://www.peacemakertrading.com/. The one I REALLY want is their deadlift shirt. I literally bugged the heck out of Bert to get one but no dice. Hopefully, he'll make it again. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy wearing my super-soft "Paw" shirt. Check them out, read their story, and look at some of the past shirts they made. Pretty sweet!

- I like to end these posts with something positive to launch into the week. Below is a post by the 2015 Reebok CrossFit Games Champion and current "Fittest on Earth". I'm a big fan of Ben Smith who always exhibits humility, doesn't hide his faith, and is crazy talented and strong. To win it all last year yet still come across as "normal" is admirable. Great words by the champ! Have a great week, everyone!



No comments: