Monday, September 28, 2015

M-Cubed for 9.28.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for September Twenty-Eighth, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Forgive me for the week off. "Prioritizing" is the excuse I'm using for no M-Cubed last Monday and no CrossFit update in a long time. Trust me, it's all written in my head and a new chapter daily but finding the quiet time to "pen" my thoughts just hasn't availed itself. For now, though...just some random thoughts on this last Monday of September...

- Hats off to the many out there who ran the all-new Akron Marathon and Half Marathon course on Saturday. Here were my thoughts on Facebook after the gun sounded on Saturday: "Love what you do and do what you love. I've been at the starting line of the Akron Marathon every year since 2007, except for my little 14,000mi round trip vacation in 2011 that kept me away. This year, I was barely out of bed when the bell rung in downtown Akron, sending the runners on their way. Still a runner, just a different daily grind but like being on the blue line, still "running my race" with my bride and loving it. So go do something, do it great, and love doing it." Here's a little throwback photo to 2008...back when Brooks Running and the race were partnered up. Back then, finishers got a FREE pair of Brooks shoes. On the left, I wore Asics. The truth is this: this race flipped me from wearing Asics to Brooks and I've never looked back. The pair on the right were my first pair of many, many Brooks in the coming years. Brilliant marketing, I'd say! Today, Brooks and the race have parted ways.

- So Friday was the release of the all-new iPhone 6S and 6S Plus. Get yourself one? My wife was sporting the old 5C so she was well overdue for an upgrade and is now sporting the new 6S in rose gold or commonly referred to "pink." Initial impressions are a definite increase in speed. Technically, it's 70% faster with an all-new A9 chip. There are camera upgrades, too, an all-new Series 7000 aluminum body (to prevent bending) and the new 3D Touch technology, or better known as "force touch." In my opinion, if you have anything less than a 6, it's worth the upgrade. If you have the 6, wait until next September when the next generation of iPhone is released.

- Saturday night took us to Cleveland's "Little Italy" with friends. It's one area I had never been to yet had been all around it while going to other places. I had a fantastic dish of gnocchi smothered in tomato basil cream sauce with shrimp but first enjoyed some awesome calamari. It was really good and everyone else enjoyed their selections, too. Afterwards, we sat outside and enjoyed dessert at standing-room only pastry shop. From rich chocolate to cannolis to several variants of cheesecake, I don't think any of us were hungry but we still indulged just a bit. We'll be back!

- CrossFit continues to be awesome. I do have a lot of thoughts to share and will eventually do that via a different post. There have been multiple highlights since I last wrote like a new deadlift personal record early last week and then a surprise "edition" of "Murph" mid-week. If you recall, I did "Murph" back on Memorial Day with destroyed hands and a rubber band for the pull-ups at my former gym. Since late May, my pull-ups are a million times better and I've been itching to do it again but haven't mentioned it. As a surprise, it was thrown into the programming so no anxiety about it prior to showing up. It went awesome and I did it...almost the prescribed legit way which is with a 20lb weighted vest. No vest but I did do the 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 air squats and one more mile run. 49min 6sec was my final time. Next time...I'll wear the vest (which I ordered last week). Everything else is going well as is for my wife who is just killing it.

- Drink soda/pop? Drink on this: One can of soda contains 41g of sugar (approx. 10 packets of sugar). If you drink one can a day for an entire year, you are consuming 35-lb. of sugar in a year.

- Got a few minutes to watch an awesome video? Check out this couple who are in their 90s and have been married for 73 years...73 years!!! Wow. So awesome. Watch it here.

- 80. 80 days until December 18, 2015! What's the significance of that, you ask? Well of course, that's opening day for Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens! A big, hearty Happy 64th Birthday to Luke Skywalker...or Mark Hamill, as he's more commonly known these days. Did you know he's deeply involved in the new production? It's his voice, as well, that you hear in the movie trailer. If you're a fan, be sure to go Star Wars' Facebook page. They posted a video last week that is interactive. You are speeding across the desert in a speeder and can look left and right. It's pretty sweet.
"Happy Birthday, Luke!" From, "your father" :)
- I shared these thoughts a little over a week ago online and yes, they are a bit vague, but still ring true, depending on your situation. "We all have to make decisions that are the best for us, our families, etc. It's different for everyone. Some of us make those decisions blindly, some discuss with people important in their life and others of faith may pray about them to get guidance as to what to do. Our past experiences have a pretty influence on what path we follow, too. These decisions are often not "popular" but when done and vetted through prayer (in our case), looking back makes it easy to see the puzzle pieces all fitting together and God's hand on it all. Still, though, the human side of it still sucks when it comes to realizations of what I thought "was"...."wasn't" at all. Moving forward, I'm thankful for authentic friends and will continue to seek out those I can trust someday more fully. Facebook...Fakebook...it's all temporal. I want lasting relationships and want to leave a lasting, positive impact in those I come in contact with, love, and do life with and even more so to those God entrusted me to care for and protect."

- Instead of leaving you with a quote this week or some inspirational wisdom, I'm going to leave you with a recipe. We saw this online a few weeks back and then my wife made it. Oh my!!! It was soooo good and by her account, very easy. So feast your eyes on this gluten-filled goodness and go attack your week! Have a great one, everyone!!!


**Spaghizza**

12 oz spaghetti cooked following pkg directions and drained
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp minced garlic
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (or use your own 3-4 cups)
3 cups mozzarella
Pepperoni

Directions (preheat oven to 375 degrees):
1. In a large bowl whisk eggs, milk, parmesean, oregano and garlic.
2. Add cooked spaghetti noodles and toss to coat well.
3. Dump in a greased 9*13 inch casserole dish....and press down to create crust.
4. Top with sauce...spreading as close to edge as you can.
5. Sprinkle cheese over sauce evenly and top with pepperoni.
6. Bake for 30 min until lightly browned. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting and ENJOY!!!

No comments: