Monday, June 1, 2015

M-Cubed for 6.1.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for June First, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Oh, I do love the 1st of the months...is that proper grammar?! Another chapter closed and another one opened. Then, of course, we have bills to pay and the big ones always appear at the start like the mortgage or rent, monthly dues to things like Netflix, insurance, the gym, etc. etc. etc. It's also the chance to get a re-do...every month. Didn't like how many miles you ran last month? Run more this month. Didn't eat well? Eat better now. Didn't get enough sleep? Resolve to find time for more this month. Don't recall last month because it's all a blur???? Time to simplify...draw some boundaries...get your priorities in check. Start by writing down everything that you're doing on a weekly basis by the day then prioritize them....can you shed anything? I bet you can...and guess what: it's ok to say "no"! Make June great!

- I'd like to give a huge shout-out to Lisa Shiu, the co-owner and CrossFit Level 2 trainer from All Heart CrossFit in Brimfield, OH...my CrossFit home since last November thru last month. During this Spring's CrossFit Open, she qualified for the Central Regional by finishing 9th in the entire region and during the past 3 days, she competed for a spot at the CrossFit Games that brings the world's fittest together in one spot. While she didn't obtain one of the Top 5 spots, she gave a valiant effort and should be proud to have "simply" made it to Regionals. Thanks to CrossFit HQ's use of YouTube's LIVE streaming, I was able to watch all 7 of her heats. This photo was published last night by CrossFit. It is Lisa during Event 7 after finishing muscle-ups and working through the ascending squat clean ladder. She began at 135lbs and worked to 175lbs. This is her at 155lbs. She finished second in this particular heat. "Way to go, Lisa, and I wish you an awesome recovery and safe trip home!"

- Everything happens for a reason and often, we don't know the "why" of many things but when looking back, much makes sense. I met a former Army nurse a few months ago at my CrossFit gym who told me about this program called "Veteran to Veteran" at her job at a local hospital system. She is a hospice nurse. When someone is placed in hospice, they aren't expected to live for more than 6 more months. For veterans who enter hospice, they are given the chance to accept the gift of the veteran to veteran program where a veteran will conduct a "pinning ceremony" where they will be honored and given a plaque and pin. It's simply a way to say "thank you." Well, I loved what I heard about it, I interviewed for it, was accepted then attended 2 of the 3 orientation sessions last week. Friday was an all-day session and tonight is a quick wrap-up. I'm really looking forward to it and thanking those who have come before me.  When I give medals and awards to my sailors, it's a ceremonial time. I hope to bring that same level of honor and respect to these veterans whose lives are coming to a close...and just sit down and talk to them/listen to them about their life and service.

- Did you know that touch and hearing stay with us until we die? On Friday during orientation...a day heavy with talking about death, we talked about those final days and hours of life. Often, people seem unresponsive but in fact, they can still hear and feel. This really gave me some peace when I think about my two grandmas who passed...that they heard me talking to them and felt me holding their hand.

- Ready for some Monday Morning Laughter??? This will fit the bill perfectly...especially if you love cats. This video is of a cat who obviously doesn't want to go for a walk. Totally playing dead and Oscar worthy!!! Enjoy it! Click here to watch it.

- This is becoming all too common. Our oldest non-human in the house, a Seal-Point Siamese cat named Berkeley likes to be in the spotlight but this is taking it a bit far!

- In case you missed my last post yesterday morning (a CrossFit update and report from Saturday's half marathon), that humidity really did kick my butt. I woke up yesterday still totally gassed from that short 13.1 miles. I stuck to a strict rest day yesterday and feel a lot better this morning...and good thing I do. Today, we begin at our new CrossFit box. New location, new trainer, new friends and a different approach at training. Gone are the days of classes and here are the days of more one-on-one training/coaching...at least for now. It's a brand new gym in only month two of operation and we're excited to be a part of it's beginning. The one huge downside to the move is not training with many of our friends any longer. However, after a lot of discussion, weighing the pros and cons, and plenty of discussion about our long-term goals and the "why" of what we're doing, we decided it was the best thing for us...right now...at this moment.

- I chose today's quote below for a reason. While it may appear running-centric, it really applies to anything that requires training and preparation and with our new chapter beginning today, I found it especially applicable. Have a fantastic week, everyone!

"Juma Ikangaa (noted Tanzanian runner, who won the 1989 New York City Marathon in 2:08:01) is quoted as saying: 'The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.' His message, I believe, is that no matter how hard you will yourself to win in a race, it will not happen unless you put the supreme effort into your training and race preparation.

As a coach, I have frequently told my athletes that if you pay attention to your training, train hard when it is required, and prepare for a competition, the race can be much more enjoyable than if you are ill-prepared on race day and attempt to win by absolutely thrashing yourself. Sooner rather than later, such methods will catch up with you. It will only take one or two races of trying to 'will' yourself to win without sufficient training and race preparation for you to realize the benefit of proper training and the wisdom of Ikangaa's words."

– Jack Miller, from Running in the Zone: A Handbook for Seasoned Athletes by Steve King & Dan Cumming

No comments: