- Most of his clients beat up the quads or the hamstrings. I did both.
- The change to a more minimal shoe has resulted in landing mid-foot over the past two years and thus, has greatly strengthened my quads since they are now the primary workhorse. His opinion is that strength surrounding my knees has kept me (and continues to) injury-free.
- From above-my-abs to my knees, I am very strong and defined all the way around. (though you can't tell by looking at me!)
- Comparing calves to quads, I have small calves because I no longer heel-strike when I land. Again, the quads, the powerhouse in me, have stepped up to the game.
- I have abs. I asked that he call my wife and tell her since by looking at me, I don't. He attests that I do. First time I've had them massaged before, though. Gotta ignore it while it's happening or laughter ensues. That's a tickle spot, for sure.
Once Thursday arrived, I felt like a million bucks. Total turn-around and I kept up a significant water intake and raw food intake. Lots of colorful fruits and veggies filled my day but I took another rest day, too, for the repair. Yesterday, I took my dog, Bristol, for a brisk 6 miler at dawn and felt great.
Enter the race bug. One thing I finished Highlands Sky saying (and my wife recorded, by the way, on video) was that I do not desire a 100-miler. It's just not there. A few posts back, I threw out the idea of the Midwest Grand Slam in 2014...4 100-milers to include the Burning River 100, a race that is hot and humid and one I really don't crave to return to. Love the race, the people, etc. but no desire to suffer like that again. BUT, I do love ultra-running and love the 50K to 50 mile race distance. I can still be happy and not suffer...too much. I also loved the West Virginia mountains, the remoteness of it all, and the people who make up the West Virginia Mountain Trail Runners club. Simply a great community of like-minded folks. So they have this "event"...
For now, though, it's time for a sunrise 10 on my favorite country route. No watch, no timing, and nothing but the sun, birds singing, and dew burning off of the newly risen cornstalks and soybeans. Have a wonderful weekend!
Run Happy, friends!