Friday, August 20, 2010

Multi-Tasking to the Extreme

As I arrived home this past Sunday evening, I literally shook as I stood in my kitchen at home.  I just stood there...as if stoned out of my mind.  I didn't even know what to do.  I had just returned from a phenomenal weekend at the Defense Logistics Agency world headquarters at Fort Belvoir, Virginia.  I was amongst senior military leaders from all four services and the weekend was ripe with real, meaty information that is very pertinent in today's climate of 2 wars going on.  The "DLA Machine" as I like to call it plays a huge part in supplying the war-fighter wherever they may be and I am honored to now be a part of it.  The "JRFLC"...and as we called it "J R Flick"...the Joint Reserve Force Leadership Conference...has a press release/article that was published this week covering what happened while I was there.  If you have any interest in the "what" of what I do in my "part time job" with the Navy, you'll find it interesting.  Find it here.

So back to that stoned feeling on Sunday night.  I had just finished a stretch since August 1st with only one day off.  The perception from many, especially at work, is that I take a lot of Fridays off, run races, and just live the high life.  In reality, it's multi-tasking to the extreme, juggling many "balls" without dropping any.  As the most senior officer in Virginia this past weekend, Rear Admiral English told me, it's all about the 3-legged stool for a military reservist:  Family, Civilian Career, and Military Career...in that order.  When mobilized and sent on active duty, the last comes forward to the first as it must and the civilian job goes into hibernation until our return.  I also love his follow-on quote: if all 3 are equally ticked off at you, you're doing a great job!  But seriously, it's not easy.  My recent job that I got with DLA is in leadership and my e-mail inbox got a serious injection of volume in the past month.  They seem to never stop and I am finding myself up very early in the morning, up late at night, and on breaks at work tending to Navy business.  I'm not complaining, though.  I wouldn't want it any other way but managing how it affects everything else, especially my family, is a work in progress.  So Monday morning came and I called off.  I was physically, mentally, and emotionally cracked on Sunday night and Marjie pretty much ordered me to call off...which I did.  I guess when an ER nurse tells you to do something, you do it.

Ha!  I just read what I wrote and there's nothing about running!!!  Go figure.  Can we add a leg to the stool?  I did this week and got the 2-week late Western Reserve Trail Running newsletter out just in time to promote a few races this week and publish the interview I had finished and the Buckeye Trail 50K report that Kirstie wrote for me. (read the newsletter here) I even have better news...remember about a month ago how I published the photo of Ron Ross at the BT50K and was trying to get it in UltraRunning Magazine?  Well, it won't be on the next cover but a black and white version of it will be the magazine alongside the race report.  Very cool.  Very cool indeed.  (I still have a goal of capturing a photo worthy of the cover someday.)  Speaking of that...time to go pick up my Canon G11.  After all, there is a trail race tomorrow and I'll be there.  XTERRA #5!!!

Happy Trails, everyone!

1 comment:

Kirstie said...

Congrats on getting your pic into the magazine! That's awesome. You will have to take a pic of your pic in the magazine to share it as I don't have a subscription to that one yet.