Monday, August 2, 2010

M-Cubed for 8/2/2010

Monday Morning Musings for August Second, Twenty Ten. A smattering of thoughts that alone don't constitute a blog post but together end up here on Monday morning.

 - Truly a wonderful weekend and I didn't run a lick!  Volunteer Report was posted yesterday about my time at Mile 64 of the Burning River 100 Mile Endurance Run.  An update to that, assuming you read it: Chris, who passed out twice at our aid station, although he did look fine when he left had an episode of intense vomiting on the way home and ended up in the ER with 3 bags of IV fluid.  Today, he is fine and recovered.  His spirits are high and plans to return to the race to finish the job in the future.  I still believe that it was his dehydration, combined with the exposure of his blister on his heal (thus giving a little shot of pain), that caused him to pass out.

- It's August.  Wow.  That means our county fair is soon which means the big, yellow school buses will be out again as well.  I think it's safe to say that Summer 2010 has been the fastest ever.  I do appreciate the recent dry spell, though.  I went 4 weeks without cutting the grass.  :-)

 - 11 hours at Happy Days on Saturday definitely made me want to travel 100 miles again.  I was cutting the grass last night which I actually enjoy quite a bit.  The hum of the John Deere is perfect for drowning out everything else but my thoughts.  Those thoughts were consumed with the thrill of the run, the highs/lows, and the finish line.  I must get myself healed and back at it.  One race that happens the same weekend as Burning River is the
Canadian Death Race.  It takes place in the Canadian Rockies, starts/finishes on a 4200' plateau, and covers 17,000' of elevation change and a major river crossing at the confluence of the Smoky and Sulfur Rivers.  It's 125K...or about 78 miles and has a brutal reputation.  I think Marjie's response when I mentioned it went something like: "Oh yea...that sounds like a GREAT race for you to do.  The Canadian DEATH Race." (as her eyes rolled like bowling balls)  I agree!  No eyes rolling for me, though.  This would be a fun road trip for a few ultra-running folks and myself, don't you think?!  It does but leaving town during Burning River?  That may be a tough sell for me.

- Again, to all the volunteers at the Burning River 100 this past weekend, a hearty THANK YOU!!!!  To the runners who crossed the finish line: CONGRATULATIONS on a Job Well Done!!!  To those who didn't: I didn't cross it in 2008, either, but came back in 2009 for payback.  You do the same!  Keep your head high and learn from this.  You toed the line at Squire's Castle and gave it a shot.  Now get back on the trails!

Have a wonderful week, everyone...and oh yes, Happy Trails!

6 comments:

Chris - Kron said...

Sorry to hear about your injury. Thanks again for the positive feedback and encouragement. I definitely missed some electrolyte replacement and I got so far behind I couldn't catch up. Chalk one up to learning. Here's to better health for both of us. Cheers.

Paige said...

Sheesh, that sucks, Nick. But it is good you finally have the right diagnosis so you can really get back on that trail to recovery! May you heal fast!

Sensationally Red said...

Sorry to hear about your stress fracture, Nick, but at least now you know and you can look forward to running again like a kid waiting on Christmas. Best of luck.

kccat said...

Sorry about Oil Creek and the fracture. That stinks. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Mark Swanson said...

talk about a "tough break"! how long are you sidelined for? enjoy the change of pace and you'll be back and good as new (or better) before you know it.

Nick B said...

Hi Mark! We missed you at Burning River this month!

No running or weight-bearing anything for at least a month then go from there. Now taking 50,000 IU of Vitamin D per week and I'm in the pool swimming. Just trying to keep my head up and forge forward. Thanks for the comment!