Monday, July 20, 2015

M-Cubed for 7.20.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for July Twentieth, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Did you get your ice cream yesterday? It was National Ice Cream Day! We sure did.

- There is more than enough to write about if I released the shackles off my fingers this morning but I won't. The biggest story out there right now is, and rightfully so, is the killing of 4 U.S. Marines and one U.S Navy sailor last week by a lone gunman in Chattanooga, TN. There are all kinds of opinions swirling around like arming military members while stateside, arming recruiters, armed guards at every military facility, Muslims, safety at home vs. at war, etc. Push those all aside and what do we have? We have 5 people who lost their lives and for most of them, left a wife and children behind. We had a Purple Heart recipient. We had multiple tours to war represented. There is a major ripple effect by this one man's actions. My heart aches for the families today. Please lift them up in your prayers. In my opinion from what I know, not much could've been done to prevent what happened. You can bet, though, that there will be a different ripple effect that'll move quickly amongst all the services and how they operate and secure themselves on a daily basis. In fact, it's already happening...I promise. All I ask from you is to keep your head on a swivel and always be watching and questioning things around you. We don't live in the world where you can leave the back porch unlocked while you sleep at night. We need to be vigilant. We need to be aware. We need to stand as one. That gunman didn't weaken a nation last week...he strengthened it.

Gone Never Forgotten...

United States Marine Corps

Lance Corporal Skip "Squire" Wells
Gunnery Sergeant Thomas Sullivan
Sergeant Carson Holmquist
Staff Sergeant David Wyatt

United States Navy

Petty Officer 2nd Class Randall Smith

- CrossFit is going AWESOME. Simple as that! I took some more photos yesterday and compared them to several months ago and just two months ago and I'm still showing progress. In the gym itself, a huge concentration continues to focus on the squat. Through that, my back is getting much stronger as are my glutes. I record myself often so I can critique my form and discuss with my coach...that really helps be real with where I am. From a pure upper body strength standpoint, that's also getting better. I'm now clipping multiple sets of chest-to-bars in succession, doing sets of dips, lots of strict pull-ups, and for July...all gym members start the day with an 800m run and 50 push-ups. Wanna warm up? That'll do it! There was this one workout I did this past week that nearly broke me...wanted to puke and wanted to quit. Emotionally, it tapped into that area that usually gets left alone! I have been practicing climbing the rope to the ceiling and a workout appeared that at first glance, wasn't too bad. Well, it was. It was this: 3 rounds of > 3 rope climbs, 15 burpees, and 15 GHD situps. I cruised through that first set in 4min, 3sec but then that second set of climbs destroyed me. It took me over 27min to do it all! That was a huge mind over body workout. One big takeaway from that particular workout was the way I climb and cinch my feet to the rope. There is a faster, more efficient way of doing it and I'm working on that now. In the future, I plan to use it but I have to master the method first in order to climb with it. Below is a snapshot from Saturday when I worked on heavy back squats. I was aiming to set a new personal record but it didn't happen. Still, it was a good lifting day followed by a fire-breathing chipper WOD. I hesitate saying it was a blast but I am glad I did it!


- My daughter and I watched a movie a few days ago on NetFlix called "Ragamuffin" that is the true story of Rich Mullins, a "rough around the edges" Christian singer/songwriter that tragically died early in his life in a Jeep accident. It was a raw account of his life that included his struggle with alcohol, love, multiple failures/tragedies and his relationship with his dad. It was so good and really hit home for me personally. During his life, a man and priest by the name of Brennan Manning made a huge impact on his life and later wrote a book called "The Ragamuffin Gospel." I found it for $4 on Amazon and it's already on the way. :) Rich never really fit the mold of what anyone thought he should be. I know what that feels like...and respect how he stayed true to himself...but I wish he didn't have to suffer like he did. Here's the trailer if you want to check it out. Here are some Brennan Manning quotes I found as well...many of which are found in his Ragamuffin Gospel book. Here are one of my favorites...not favorite in that I love it but it so accurately portrays Christianity in America today:

“The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” ~ Brennan Manning

- I'm not sure what side of the fence you're on when it comes to Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner but in my opinion, it was pure absurdity that he/she got the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage at the ESPY Awards by ESPN. Really? How about this: I met a Vietnam war veteran who is missing half his face last week from a battle in Vietnam yet returned home to a country that didn't welcome him. I had the honor of meeting him and thanking him for his service. This, amongst countless others who serve our country in the military and as police/firemen demonstrate courage day in and day out. Jenner switched his gender then did a photo shoot to tell the world. That's courage? Even if you think it is, is the world stage appropriate for such level of "courage?"

- "Dear Mr. Trump: SHUT UP!!!!" That is all.

- Anyone else a big fan of "So You Think You Can Dance" on Fox? This family can't dance but we all love it! It's really shaping up to be an awesome season. Monday nights!

- Lastly today, a short blog post to read on "Blank Spaces." I can't even give you a worthy excerpt to sum it up...just read it here. Really good. We're living it, too...but can always do better! Think: less stuff, more joy...joy in emptiness...more time for what matters...FREEDOM.

Have a great week, everyone!

No comments: