Monday, April 27, 2015

M-Cubed for 4.27.2015

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for April Twenty-Seventh, Two-Thousand Fifteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Not exactly Monday morning any longer but still Monday...and I always have musings floating in my head.

- Perhaps you haven't seen it yet, but the newest teaser trailer for the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII movie was released back on April 16th. Only 9.2 million+ have watched it. Only. I've watched it 7 times. Going to be awesome! Here it is if you haven't seen it yet.

- In case you missed my race report from yesterday's 2nd Annual Pro Football Hall of Fame, here it is. By bedtime (and I mean before 9pm) last night, I was a walking zombie. I ran the marathon, got the lawn mowed, had a great dinner with my family and found time to get on the foam roller twice. Quads, hammies, my back, my neck and my calves. I still wanted to go to CrossFit this morning and was trying to put the best effort forward to wake up this morning absent of pain. I woke up still just a tad bit achy but overall, 100% better than I felt when I went to bed. Lots of water yesterday, rolling, and rest all helped. This morning at CrossFit, it was overhead squats and jump ropes. Overhead squats are my most difficult lift due to poor flexibility so I went super light on weight and focused on form while getting down into those squats...not the easiest thing post-marathon. The other part of the workout itself had 450 single jump ropes in it. Now THAT was an interesting treatment on quads! Sheesh! In the end, it was a mild morning compared to most...and perfectly fine by me. It warmed me up, stretched me out and got the blood pumping. Week #25 of CrossFit complete!

- I am thankful to say that I have never touched an illegal drug...in my life. But did you know...in my county last month, we had a person die everyday from heroin? It's an epidemic and doesn't appear to be getting any better. It's on the news all of the time. Just so sad.

- Yesterday while my wife was waiting for me at the finish line (she ran the half marathon), she used the fleece blanket to keep warm on the 30 yard line. Well, a reporter from Stark County's newspaper, the Canton Repository, saw her, snapped this photo, then interviewed her. It's hilarious! That little poof of hair is her pony-tail sticking out. "You're a celebrity, Babe!"

- Am I only one that listens to the police scanner? There is an app called 5-0 Radio that you can pull up your local police scanner and listen in to the radio traffic. Quite interesting, entertaining and eye opening all at once. :)

- Speaking of what I put in my ears, my latest hook has been via iTunes Radio. I prefer this streaming service over others simply because there aren't any commercials. The channel called "Classical Chill" is my new favorite. Now if you don't like classical, don't bother. But if you do, I'd give it a try and see what you think. Early morning with my espresso and while I work in the office...perfect for both.

- Times of transition: Late last year, I wrote out some goal races for 2015 and if you haven't noticed yet, I've been deleting them as I go. Yesterday's race marks only the 2nd race of 2015. I already scrapped the Bull Run Run 50 Miler about 4 weeks ago and I've scrapped my return to the 100-mile race. It has nothing to do with yesterday but more about where my passions lie these days. I was a 100% runner prior to November of last year. It's all I did. Now I run a little (but still run) and CrossFit much more. I've sacrificed endurance but increased my strength and GREATLY increased my time with my wife....by a longshot. Overall, I'm happier and really treasure those miles on the road when I get out there. I love that time. So moving forward, I don't know where I'm headed. I'm kicking around a few 50Ks this year but haven't yet registered. I'd also like to see how fast I could run a 5K right now. (There happens to be one 2 miles from my house this Saturday...hmmm). There won't be any other marathons until next year's Hall of Fame Marathon, though. At the end of May, I'll do the Medina Half Marathon again...such a great race and it just sold out. On the CrossFit side of things, different gyms/boxes have comps...or competitions that they host. I'm doing my first near the end of June in a nearby box in Pennsylvania. There is one other one later this year that I am waiting for, too...and who knows what else might pop up. Besides that, not much else. I plan, simply, to get stronger, fitter, faster and enjoy it. If I lose the joy, you can count me out.

- Hey, back to that swag from the race. This blanket is awesome. On days where it's over 10 degrees below normal, it keeps the feet warm nicely. Last year, we got a blanket as well but it was blue...the same blue you see in this blanket. Now we have 3 in the house!

- My thoughts and prayers go out to the families impacted over the last day or so of two fallen Navy SEALs in Virginia. They were found at the bottom of a training pool on base in Virginia Beach. No official word, yet, but early reports point to a training accident. Multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and they die at home, training to be better at what they do for us. Very sad. Here is one of the many stories covering the tragedy.

- I have a few video suggestions for you. Whether you CrossFit, are a CrossFit hater, or are just curious, these few batches of videos are really, really good. The first is called "Road to Conviction." It is currently 4 episodes in (usually under 10min each) and is following the story of Fletcher who just got out of prison and found CrossFit. Go here for the series. The other batch is a culmination of video contest entries...the best of the best. Our personal favorite so far is the one of CrossFit SUBU in Orlando. They literally started on the grass in a backyard of someone's house...then another backyard. Totally grassroots and precisely the kind of community I'd love to be a part of someday. Here is the playlist I created for the contest videos. Enjoy! (seriously...give these a shot if you have a few...they'll suck you right in..both will!)

- Before I leave you today, just one dose of motivation. Earlier today, I got some undesired news. (not to worry...nothing tragic or anything I need prayers for...just another door closed...for the fourth time) Anyway, these words speak the truth and they reflect a decision each one of us must make no matter what it is we believe we have failed at. Have a GREAT week, everyone...and get back up!

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." ~ Mary Pickford

1 comment:

Kim said...

Arrgh.Police scanner at your age? Dude, this is what we start listening to about age 62 or so!