Monday, December 1, 2014

M-Cubed for 12.1.2014

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for December First Two Thousand Fourteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Welcome to December! Boom. Goodbye, November. Shall we crunch some numbers? Back in September, I ran 218 miles. In October, I ran 80.7. In November? 74.5. Through September 30th, I averaged over 200/mo for 2014. Obviously, I have changed things up. On November 4th, I began CrossFit five days a week and only run 1 or 2 days a week. To date for 2014, I sit at 2005.2 miles. Originally targeted to be 2400 miles. Regrets? None. I'm thrilled with the course change and the path I'm on now.

600th post was yesterday!
- Welcome to #601. Yes, today is my 601st post...but before we get carried away, let's celebrate the big 600 with Saturday's race report, ok?! In true 20th Century Fox fashion, here's to 600! WOO HOO! :)

- In case you missed it, I ran the Amish Country Half Marathon yesterday and kicked it in the tail. Here's the full recap.

- I really should be ashamed to have missed it, but I never mentioned last Monday that we celebrated 22 years of wedding bliss a weeks back. It's been quite a journey but I'm blessed to be one of those guys who can say that I'm married to my best friend. She is and it's great to journey life together.

- Last night, we watched a documentary called "Serving Life" which is narrated by Academy Award winner, Forest Whitaker. It's a true story from the Louisiana State Penitentiary, once considered the bloodiest of it's kind in the south and America's largest maximum security prison at about 5,000 inmates. The story is of the hospice care unit formed there to support those who die which is many. The unit is staffed by volunteers from the inmate population. This is the story of four of them. I highly recommend it! Here is NPR's story that they did on the documentary to give you an idea. It's on Netflix and also available on Google Play, VUDU and Amazon.

- You've seen "A Christmas Story," right? Not me. I've seen bits and pieces but never watched it start to finish. Speaking of visuals on TV, any chance you're a watcher of NBC's Parenthood? We had 4 episodes to make up and used the Thanksgiving break to do so. So good! Only 4 episodes to go until the series says goodbye. If I had one character I can't stand, it would be Julia. Argh!!!!

Run home on Thanksgiving
- How was your Thanksgiving? Ours began with a very quick workout at our CrossFit gym together and then I ran home 11 miles. It was a heavy snowflake run with next to no traffic at all. Great kickoff to Turkey Day. My wife made a most fantastic feast with all of the traditional fixins'. My favorite? Her homemade stuffing that was passed to her from my mom. Unbelievably awesome in every way. The rest of the day was lazy.

- Did you catch the new and first trailer for the upcoming Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens that was released on Friday morning? It comes out in December 2015 but fans like me are more than ready. I think I've watched it 7 times now. How about that new, wicked lightsaber? Watch it here.

- I finished T.J. Murphy's book "Inside the Box" this past week. Such an excellent read and one that gives the history of CrossFit as well as his personal experience of going from marathons and triathlons into this at the age of 47. I immediately shipped it to a good friend of mine in PA for her to read but first captured his very last paragraph of the book. I thought it captured the essence of it all quite well:

"This is how they get you, I realized. It is this march towards personal records, goals, and programs, checking new skills off the list, making new records, seeing gains in strength and endurance, losing pounds of weight or fat. Being able to do a pull-up or being able to "Rx" a workout. This is the drug that gets you - and keeps you."

- Yesterday, I did my first trail WOD. I met Doug, one of the trainers who is also a runner, and one other member at Munroe Falls Metro Park. I was feeling pretty good after racing Saturday but knew this workout would ground me in such a way to expose whether or not I was really recovered. It started with a 10min timed AMRAP (as many repetitions as possible) and one rep was 5 kettle bell swings, 10 push-ups, and 15 air squats. After the 10min, we hauled a sandbag up the stairs on the trail and back down again then a 2.2 mile rolling trail run through the woods at high an effort as possible. I got through 8 complete reps plus 13 (5 KBS + 8 push-ups). Those push-ups were the death of me...again. Overall, I had a great time and am already looking forward to the next one. However, those squats clearly called out my quads that took a pounding during the half marathon. "Well, hello there!" The pic here is of our 3 kettle bells. Mine was the lightest at 35lb... "Baby Blue."

- To wrap up today, I leave you with a quote from the 2014 Boston Marathon champion and 2009 New York City Marathon champion. Have a GREAT week!:

"No matter how fast you are, it all comes down to commitment, hard work perseverance and passion. If you have those things and have the courage to test yourself from time to time, you never know how things might turn out or whom you might inspire. Reach for the stars; you might only get one or two or maybe 10, but you won't get any if you don't reach for them." ~ Meb Keflezighi

No comments: