Monday, August 4, 2014

M-Cubed for 8.4.2014

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for August Fourth, Two Thousand Fourteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning.

- Yesterday was the conclusion of the this year's installment of the Burning River 100 Mile Endurance Run. Thanks to the new Timehop app on my iPhone, I've been reminded about it consistently for the past 4 or 5 days. While I may not be a part of the event anymore, it is still a fantastic race that represents our entire area well. The logistics and level of volunteers it takes to put on a 100-mile event that begins east of Cleveland and ends far south in Cuyahoga Falls is mind-boggling. From everything I've seen online, it went off very well and while I know few of the participants anymore, many got their 100 mile buckle or killed the course as part of a relay team. Well done to you if you were one of them!

- If you missed it, I wrapped up July back on Thursday here. Hit the goal, passed the goal, and set a new lifetime one month mileage record. Kept the streak alive, too. Also mentioned my new plans for 2015 and my return to the 100 mile race distance. It's finally time to "buckle" up again...or in this case, "kettle." Here my month-in-review.

- Sunday night (last night)...8-10pm...NPR classical...it was exactly what I needed. The strings, the ivory...magical.

- Been pretty quiet so far for August in the mileage category. I'm still logging daily miles and haven't gone over 10 miles in over a week. Just running what I feel like running and cruising along. On Saturday, I took my nearly 3 year old dog to Kent, OH for a run along the Cuyahoga River, through the Farmer's Market, and enjoyed an awesome pork burrito from my favorite burrito shop...Taco Tonto's. Bristol did really well over our 6 miles but wow, she was pooped at the end. I treated her to a bowl of water and some of her homemade peanut butter and oatmeal dog treats. Here is our own personal selfie with our paws in the Cuyahoga River.

- I'm a poor poor reader. My oldest daughter can read a 2" thick novel in a few days. I can't get through a chapter of hardly any book and tell you what I read. (there are a few exceptions, of course..just a few) One thing I know I need to be reading more of is my Bible. I know it. Otherwise, I'm just like every other person out there who calls them self a Christian yet doesn't get in the Word. Luckily, in the world of smart phones, we have apps and I have the YouBible app that'll read it to you, with character and not boring. Any version, too. So about a week ago, I just felt like the book of Acts was a book I should read (oops, I mean listen to). I must say...I "hear" much more of it and retain it much better when I listen to it as I run. I do know that many who read here don't believe as I do but I ask even you to give me some latitude here just to share a passage that stuck with me. First, let me just say that I pray...a LOT. I pray for direction, I pray that MY will be HIS will and that my decisions are not my own. I pray for protection over myself, my family, my home...and protection from the unseen and evil that lurks....and is so very real. Those are (without details) things I pray for daily...often multiple times and often while I run...and then I listen. With that being said, I was listening in Acts 5 near the end. The Apostles are preaching and teaching and have come before the leaders who want them killed because of it. A man, a teacher, well respected and liked came before them and told the story of those who have opposed the Apostles prior and their fate.

Acts 5:38-39 (NIV) reads: "Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God." 

I find reassurance from these two verses. If I make them my own, they would read: "...for if MY purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, I will be not be able to be stopped and those who try to stop me (human or the spiritual realm) will only find themselves fighting against God." Bottom Line: If I keep my eyes focused on Him, follow Him, then I will not fail in His eyes. He will be glorified. It may be a rocky, painful road...but ultimately in the end, I will not fail to the One who matters most.

- This past week, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels announced their 2015 team. From demonstration pilots to the crew to the doc to the supply officer, it's quite a career milestone to be selected to be on the Team. The highlight of the announcement was the first-ever woman to serve as a Blue Angel pilot. Marine Capt. Katie Higgins, a 2008 U.S. Naval Academy graduate was picked for the 2015 Team. Other women have served with the Angels but none as one of the aviators. Here is the story if you'd like to learn a little more about Capt. Higgins and her background. For those of you local to NE Ohio, the Angels are coming to Cleveland over Labor Day weekend! I'm actually meeting one at the last organizational planning meeting the Monday prior when he flies into town.

- I take photos on almost every run I do. While running along the Cuyahoga River on Saturday, these little nickel-sized "weeds" along the trail stopped me in my tracks. I really love how it came out, especially since I took it with nothing but my iPhone...quickly as the sweat was dripping. I just love the color, angles, and perfection of this "weed" and "flower."


- Thanks to NPR, I ran across this video from 2013 a few days ago. It was filmed at a TED event in Canada last year and in a short 6 minutes, Drew Dudley brings it home. It's titled "Everyday Leadership" and the article by NPR posted has the headline "Have You Changed Someone's Life Without Realizing It?" It is really good and I highly recommend the watch/listen. If you don't have time now, come on back later and give it a listen. (We never know the kind of impact we might/can have!)



- Surprising Secrets of Highly Happy Marriages. "Uh oh...here's comes the marriage/relationship advice!" Actually, that is the title of this article I read this past week. If you are the kind that never clicks on my links, let me just include the bullet points...the top 5 secrets for him and her.

Guys first. When it comes to your wife, here are the five things that make her happy.
  1. Take her by the hand.
  2. Leave her a voice mail message, text message, or email to tell her you love her and are thinking about her.
  3. Put your arm around her, or your hand on her knee when you're sitting next to her (especially when you're in public).
  4. Sincerely tell her she's beautiful.
  5. Pull yourself out of a funk.
That’s it. Believe it or not, when Shaunti asked wives, between 72-82 percent said these five actions deeply pleased them. That's not just the happy wives, but all wives. Even two-thirds of the wives in struggling marriages strongly agreed these are the things that make her happy.

And now, here are the five things Shaunti found that please husbands the most:
  1. Notice his effort and sincerely thanks him for it.
  2. Say, "You did a great job at __________."
  3. Mention in front of others something he did well.
  4. Show him that you desire him sexually, and he pleases you sexually.
  5. Make it clear to him that he makes you happy.
As you know, wives, men are often pretty simple and aren’t too hard to please. Just do a couple of things. Oh, if you’re thinking that #4 is the most important thing on a guy’s list, think again. It’s #5. Almost 90 percent of men said knowing that they make their wife highly happy is what makes them highly happy.

So go ahead...try a few...or heck, try just ONE for starters! :)

- As I close out today's M-Cubed and get this week moving, I ran across this great Top 10 List: "10 Great Pinterest Quotes for Ultra Runners." Among them, the one below is one of my favorites but honestly, they are all really good (and true).


Have a great week, everyone, and keep "Running Happy" and "Hammer On!"

August 1st Sunrise over the cornfield #fromtherun

No comments: