Monday, January 20, 2014

M-Cubed for 1.20.2014

M-Cubed (Monday Morning Musings) for January Twentieth, Two Thousand Fourteen...a random smattering of thoughts that end up here on Monday morning (or afternoon, in this week's case).

- Happy Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! Yes, that would be his proper title and on this day, I'd like to share just this one quote: "The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But... the good Samaritan reversed the question: 'If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?'" Imagine if we lived life not worrying about ourselves and instead, flipped that and looked for ways to bless, help, encourage, and pray for others?

- Saturday marked the end of my running calendar week. Wowsers...kinda got away from me last week. I only took the first day of the week off (Sunday) and wrapped the week with 61 solid miles. The final 3 days were 10, 10, and 20. My girls were having an afternoon shopping day on Saturday and sitting around in the house my myself simply wasn't exciting to me so I went running. Plus, many across the nation were running for Meg. Meg was running a week ago and was killed on her morning run by a drunk driver. So if you see #megsmiles in your Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook feed, that's why. Yesterday, however, was a day of rest...gotta rest to get stronger and stay injury-free.

- Ever get "gruffed" at by a donkey? Yea...me, neither until Saturday on my 20. I was running along one of many country roads and came upon this donkey. Of course, I figured a photo was in order and he or she didn't agree and made that sound...not happy with my presence. Anyway, I'm not up on my donkey-knowledge so if you know the proper term for this, let me know!

- Lots of changes on my blog layout recently. I've been trying out new things and trying to make it simpler and easy to find things. The biggest change is the removal of almost everything on the sidebar and putting many sought after items under the menu buttons at the top. With literally years of race reports on here, now, they are now under one easy header. My running log button links directly into my Running2Win log that I use to log my miles and track the mileage on my shoes. Free website and the app is a buck or two. It has a lot of other bells and whistles but I don't use them. Log for my body and shoes...nothing more. Other common requests like the 7 Baby Steps about getting out of debt (Dave Ramsey) and my deployment journal are also up there in the Helpful Links tab. The header is new again, too. I found the PicMonkey website and love it! You can do all kinds of cool photo things for free, like collages. For your Facebook account, they even have a format that's designed to fit your Timeline photo perfectly. All free. They do have paid features but there are plenty of freebies to use without spending a dime.

- "Every morning is another nail in the coffin of yesterday. Live today intentionally and without regret." (just a musing I came up with late last week...thought it might encourage you today)

- Last Thursday and Friday were PERFECT mornings. Both mornings, it was hovering around 30F, an ever-so-slight breeze, and mostly clear skies with a full Mr. Moon illuminating the sky. It is amazing how as I run into the country and leave all man-made light behind me, my pupils dilate and Mr. Moon makes everything fully illuminated. Rolling landscape, frost on the harvested corn and soybean fields, puffs of smoke rising from chimneys while people sleep, and the occasional horse or cow standing in a pasture. Perfectly awesome.

- Yesterday around mile 17, I came upon this stop sign. Being that I just began a year of sponsorship with Hammer Nutrition and was wearing my Hammer hat, I had to stop for a quick "Hammer Selfie." Hammer Time! :)

- A friend posted this article on "What do Ultra Marathons do to our bodies?" and I found it really interesting. I'll admit, though...I was a bit scared to open it up. Kinda like slowly peering around the corner of the article and looking in...hoping I'd NOT see something telling me to end it all. Quite the opposite, actually! Here's the brief article for your reading pleasure.

- Have a young kid? By young, I mean in K-12. We watched, as a family, a movie called "Cyberbully" a few nights ago on Netflix. Fair warning...a few foul words but priceless as far as the life-lesson goes. Afterwards, I asked my oldest what she learned. Her reply?: "I understand why I can't have an Instagram account, text, or have a Facebook account." Mission accomplished. We've gotta have these conversations with our kids, folks...if we don't, society will and that story doesn't have a happy ending.

- To wrap up, here are just a few miscellaneous photos from my 20 miler on Saturday. Got chickens?!


Running across Congress Lake. Lots of swans are in the distance and bald eagles have recently been seen in that small island in the center distance.
Have a great week, everyone!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I found your Cyberbully comment interesting, especially with your oldest's comments on "not" having a social media account.
These young'uns have *always* had social media around. I think my generation gap is the fact that I was around "before the internet". I am still astounded people have degrees in social media!